View Single Post
Old 03-25-2009, 12:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedSouth
Thanks for the extra pic and information. …
You’re welcome, SS.
Quote:
…Is it much trouble to use without help?…
It is very easy for me to use the stand by myself, without any help.
Quote:
…I'm trying to imagine the process in my mind...

Park the bike on the side stand then put the rear stand in position...
stand the bike up and hold it as the stand is lowered to the ground...
or use the stand to lift the bike up straight in the same motion as lowering it (the rear stand) to the ground??

I hope that made some sense. …
Yes, you are very close! Here is the way I use the stand:

First I place a brick or a short piece of board under the side stand to get the motorcycle nearly vertical. This step is not entirely necessary, but it makes the process a little easier.

Then I grab the luggage rack at the rear of my bike with my left hand to steady the motorcycle; I use my right hand to roughly center the arms of the stand under the swingarm.

Then I push down lightly on the handle of the stand until it rotates enough to make contact with the swingarm. Now I tilt the bike the short distance to make it completely vertical. During this process I am simultaneously using my left hand on the motorcycle rack as I am pressing down lightly on the handle of the swingarm stand. As I press lightly on the handle of the stand it also begins to support and steady the bike. It sounds complicated, but it is really very easy and effortless. A small woman could do it easily with a very large motorcycle.

Now the motorcycle is completely off the sidestand; my left hand on the luggage rack, and my right hand pressing lightly on the handle of the stand easily supports the bike!

Lastly, I press the stand handle smoothly to the ground, while still steadying the bike with my left hand. The bike easily pops right up onto the stand as the stand rotates on its wheels underneath the bike.

If you do it once or twice the process becomes very smooth and automatic. Also, if you prefer, you can raise the motorcycle very slowly. It takes very little effort.

My goodness! After writing all this I just remembered I had seen a video on the internet! :roll: Here is a link to a video showing how to use a competitor’s swingarm stand:

Here is another video describing some of the factors you should consider when selecting a swingarm stand:

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894