Thread: Change.gov
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2009, 07:59 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprf1y

Don't forget the tinfoil hat, too :P

The recession is exactly that.
In the big picture, its a hiccup in the economy, like every other recession. Trying to paint it as something its not, is a favourite pastime of the mainstream media.
I understand, and for the most part agree with, what you're saying about the media. They do love to sensationalize a story, and they are quick to focus attention in places that aren't deserving (ANS, anyone?)

Unfortunately, we can't just blow off everything they report as over-hyped. Sure, the boy cried wolf and tricked people until they failed to believe him when a wolf really arrived. So what about us? Do we ignore the wolf because of the media hype in the past? I think not. The wolf is real. This isn't something exclusive to the US. Markets all over the world are in trouble. Banks all over the world are in trouble.

I surely don't remember (reading or hearing about) that in the 70's.

I don't trust any single source of information. When the same information is provided pretty much the world over...I tend to belive it's fairly accurate.

Take the original subject of this thread as an example. The media hype is that marijuana is one of the worst drugs in the world...but if you look elsewhere in the world, it's easy to see that THAT is hype. Global warming, on the other hand...not so much.

It's one thing to be skeptical and desire proof. It's something else to ignore the obvious. Crying wolf is the job of the media. Our job is to filter the truth from the hype, but not ignore them entirely and dismiss everything they report.

Well, unless it's Fox News...lol...it's pretty safe to ignore them entirely IMO. 8O
2005 Kawasaki EX250 - A new project