View Single Post
Old 11-09-2008, 03:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceDrake
Just as an aside, GM's own dealerships *hated* the electric-cars. Not only was the mark-up pitiful, once they left the dealer ship, they never come back. i.e. No oil changes, no tune-ups, No injector purges, etc. Maybe some tires and a set of wiper blades once in a while.

With many factors putting the squeeze on new-car profit margins, the money is in the service, and there was really no service on the EV1.

Come to think of it, being a mechanic, I hate electric cars! Although, I strongly doubt they'll ever make a lto of noise here in Sask, with our climate...

--Vince
That reminds me of something I posted here several months ago about the parts and service industry not being fully in support of alternative energy sources. Obviously that doesn't apply to everyone who services vehicles, but it does have some impact.

If I remember correctly, the argument than was...the service shops will simply train and learn the new technology. And that's fine, but on vehicles with fewer moving or servicable parts, the opportunity for service is greatly reduced.

I agree that the movie in question is one that everyone needs to see. I don't consider every statement in the movie to be a fact, but much of it is also supported by evidence elsewhere.
2005 Kawasaki EX250 - A new project