View Single Post
Old 10-20-2008, 09:14 PM   #4

Av fuel has many corrosive additives. Most of it is to keep moisture out of the fuel at high altitudes. They also need higher octane for a slower burn in high compression engines or high altitudes. I have used about a 5% mix of nitro in regular pump gas and have had great luck with it over the years. Not in my China bike though. It melted the plastic petcock (fuel shut-off/on/reserve) bowl and it is lucky that I noticed it as it would have most likely contaminated the fuel to the point of clogging a jet perhaps. I suspect that the Av fuel had the same result on one of the plastic pieces of your fuel intake. I have also seen it corrode certain metals so yes, unless you are running 12:1 compression or higher, the need for Av gas or any high octane for that matter, may not be worth the risk. The higher the octane, the slower it burns and if your compression chamber does not have enough compression and air to ignite the fuel, it just goes out the exhaust unburned and is wasted. Octane is just something you need enough of, too much just costs you more at the pump. I have heard some other arguments about higher octane fuel being cleaner of refined better and may have additives to keep fuel injectors clean, fuel lines, etc. Fuel is fuel. Find a station that you trust and stick with it. Just my 2 cents. In any case, hope you find the leak..

Eric in Mi.