View Single Post
Old 05-13-2024, 07:05 PM   #5

The Orion RXB is manufactured by Nicot Motorcycle. It even said so on my MCO.

Anyway, Orion do list a replacement rear shock for this bike on their web site but they want $400 for it. So, uh, how about no. Not that I am averse to paying that much or more for a quality shock, but as we know what comes with this thing is purest Chineseium.

Anyhow, I dood it.

Getting it out required dropping the swingarm.

The specs I measured are as follows:

Eye-to-Eye Length: 465mm (this is not a size that seems to exist, but 460 and 470 do)
Travel: Around 70mm before hitting the bump stop
Mounting Bolt Diameter: 10mm
Shackle Width: 24mm (both top and bottom)
Spring Cross Sectional Diameter: 11.66mm
Spring Coil Outer Diameter: 72.25mm
Barrel Diameter: 45mm

I have absolutely no idea what the spring rate is.

Anyway, I see several cheap examples online that look like they ought to fit in terms of length and bolt/clevis pattern, but they all seem to be smaller in diameter on the spring. I don't know if this bodes well or not.

When I had the shock out I noticed oil all over the bottom of the airbox, and the air box "drain," which is really just about 3" of vinyl tube with a closed end bunged on a barb on the bottom of the box, was completely full of oil. I emptied and cleaned this, and I notice it is in a position to drip right on the lower half of the shock. I wonder if what I'm seeing is air filter oil, not shock oil. It's definitely not motor oil (too clean, and no visible leaks anywhere on the engine).

I cleaned up the factory shock and I'll stand it upright overnight to see if it drips. Unfortunately, I don't have a vise long enough to compress it. The only way I could articulate it is to reinstall it, and I figure I'll do that in the morning if I don't see any signs of leakage while it's static.