Thread: hawk update
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2024, 06:40 PM   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hilly View Post
I think that you should be good to go with the tires.
I hated giving up my knobbies on my Hawk, but I did, in favor of a 50/50 type, and while the 50/50 tires evidently have more potential on twisty paved roads, I don't drive agressivly enough for it to matter a whole lot. The tires that are on my KPX, are fairly flat across the width of the tread compared to the ones I now have on my Hawk, which are more rounded across the width of the tread, and I catch myself leaning the bike in fast curves a lot further than with the knobbies. I am kinda hoping that as the center of the tread wears down some the tires will get a little flatter across the width of the tread. I ordered a cheap spoke wrench a good while back from Amazon, and it came with an assortment of interchangeable heads, but the only one that I have ever used is the 6mm. I think the wrench was probably around $5.00, or possibly a very little more, but I have since ordered two sets of these little mini wrenches from AliExpress, to carry on the bikes. They are around the same price as the spoke wrench, and include a little 6mm combination wrench, so that's probably the best buy, because you get several other wrenches.
I've learned one thing: I'll be keeping an eye on the spokes from now on. If I hadn't applied that JB Weld to the rim, it could have been repaired, but my eagerness to ride overrode my better judgment. Anyway, I'm excited to get back out there. The trails are beckoning, and I want to enjoy them before they become so overgrown that a GPS is needed to find my way home.