View Single Post
Old 04-01-2024, 08:11 PM   #5

This thread inspired me to get the old lathe at the shop back up and running.... i think ours is even older than yours Mr fromagé... leather belt let go mid last year, and when it did, i flung all but 1 of the belt crimps into the oblivion.... the leather belt was never that great anyways, so i converted it to an automotive serpentine.... but.... i didnt feel like disassembling the head stock or the drive pulley stack on the motor, so i sliced it up to the correct dimensions, threaded it all thru, and stitched it together with a pair of zip ties... i was never able to use the high rpm "gear" without massive slippage or minimal cutting depth, now, i can stall the motor if i want to...LOL

Also... i needed to make a part today, attempted to take apart a pair of garden shears for sharpening, old fiskars (back when they made full metal tang handles) and it snapped the pivot bolt instead of unthreading... so, had to make a new pivot bolt, essentially a grade 5 5/16" carriage bolt, with no square shoulder.... tried filing, nope.... tried the bench grinder, nope again, our grinder wheels need dressed/replaced... so i had to fix the lathe....LOL