Thread: Templar X 250
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2024, 07:10 AM   #1671

Quote:
Originally Posted by superjocko View Post
I believe a too long spacer would only prevent OD of the bearing from fully seating in the hub. Not good as the hub could fret laterally on the bearings. A too short spacer would cause deformation of the hub and bearing impingement when the axle nut is tightened. Right?
Off the top of my head, I don’t think so.
The bearings aren’t held in place by the spacer-they sit in on a seat machines into the hub. The center spacer is the same 25mm diameter as the inner race, when it’s not pressed in between the two innermost bearings it freely moves around inside the hub. So on my bike when everything was tight the outer race was set firmly into the hub on its seat (definitely not moving) and the inner races were smashed between the inner and outer spacers causing impingement. If the center spacer is even a bit too long it would cause this to happen even at nominally low torque on the axel nut.
If the center spacer was too short it could allow for lateral movement of the inner race when the outer spacer pushed on them from the outside. Definitely not good.

At least I think so, I’ll have to take a closer look when I get home from work today.
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350 “Trigger”