Thread: hawk update
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2024, 10:26 PM   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapkin View Post
It's the rear wheel that has a missing spoke. I put JB weld over the hole months ago and just kept riding. Does that front tire look that bad? jeez. Now I need two tires! ugh.
I couldn't really tell from the pictures, but the front tire usually outlast the rear. On my TBR7, my front was still good, when the stock rear was needing replaced, so I just replaced the rear, with a new 50/50, because that bike came on 50/50 tires. The stock rear knobby on my Hawk had worn down to the point that the side of each of the center knobs, that contacts the road last, were worn down to the non treaded part of the tire, and the part of each center knobs that contacts the road first was still sticking up some. The front was showing the same pattern of wear on the center knobs, BUT the tire was probably only about what I would estimate to be half, or a little better worn out. I replaced both, because I went with a 50/50, but I probably could have ran the front knobby for a good while longer. I would say that if your rear is plumb wore out, then your front is probably still around 40 percentage, or better, but I don't know for sure. On dry paved roads, you probably don't need deep tread, but sometimes you can get caught in an unexpected rain, so while I would say your front tire should still have some usable life left in it, I would not let it get too bald in the center.