Thread: spark plug
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2024, 03:39 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
I've been running the same DPR8EIX-9 ngk plug since 2018. I never once touched the gap. I am still using it even after swapping heads. Engine has no misfires or power issues. Keep in mind this is a bike with a cam, ported head, and a decked jug with a .8mm squish gap and a flat top piston (reads, much higher than stock compression). No spark blowout issues.

The advantage of Iridium is it's durability. It will probably outlast the rest of the bike. The other advantage is that the tip being so small on the Iridium plug means the spark has a smaller area from which to jump from, giving it a more concentrated and consistent arc that can jump a wider gap, which is why it works. I would not run a .9mm gap on a copper core plug personally, and likelydrop down to a .6-.7mm gap.
I'm a huge fan of fine wire electrode plugs. I ran platinum until iridium came out. I may eventually put iridium in my Templar but thought I'd stick with copper for now, the plug was only $3 and I always carry a spare anyway.

I just looked it up and I was wrong about something. I misremembered the gap that "-9" indicates. I thought it was 0.044"rather than 0.035". I wouldn't run a 0.44" gap in these bikes but 0.035" should be just fine. My bad memory.