View Single Post
Old 02-21-2024, 01:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
The Ford has left/right wheel brakes that get you out of situations. And those rear wheels are TALL and heavy, usually filled halfway with water. The larger tracter is also more durable, will cost way less over time with fewer hydraulic hoses to replace, etc.

The biggest difference is that the Kioto and other lighter tracters with true 4WD can have a light footprint. This can be really important when the ground is WET! It also minimizes gouging and digs caused by uber machinery

If it is a golf course (ok, maybe a back yard, or lawn), or if it is a small soybean or garden field needing plowing, the compromises allowed are very different!

I am in the process of planning a move. I do not want a big lawn to maintain, and I'd rather have tillable garden space. When the time comes, I will be leaning towards ancient machinery.
That was definitely not our experience here. My neighbor had a big 2WD farm type tractor (IHC with a Mitsubishi motor. Early 60's) and it got stuck constantly, even on the slightest inclines. The big rear tires would just spin. We'd have to lift the bucket all the way up to get the weight as far back as possible and then start piling lumber under the rear wheels. He's had to drag it out with his F350 diesel numerous times.

My little LS has the rear tires filled with water and that definitely helps stick it to the ground on our steep hill. It's amazing what that little thing has accomplished. Zero problems.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350