View Single Post
Old 02-21-2024, 12:05 PM   #544

ECU tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
... i would like to do is fine tune the ECU. I know there's more power available just in tuning.
I came across a Good dyno-tuning outfit which meticulously showed (using a wide-band oxygen sensor and meter ... on the dyno) that a Honda Grom ECU made for a near perfect (stoichiometric) 14.7:1 air:fuel ratio ... UNTIL the last 10% of throttle opening where the air:fuel ratio dropped to ~13.2:1 - to make maximum power at wide-open throttle.

So, I ran my 2023 Grom at ~5,000 rpm (NOT wide-open throttle) for awhile, killed the ignition (withOUT closing the throttle), pulled the spark-plug and, sure enough, the plug center insulator was white as snow. Is that what a perfect 14.7:1 air-fuel ratio looks like on the spark plug center insulator?

Today we're Forecast to reach ~50*; I'll try running wide-open throttle - to see if the same approach shows the sought after light TAN plug center insulator, which used to be depicted as 'perfect' on Champion spark plug charts in the back of gas station bays?