View Single Post
Old 12-26-2023, 09:30 AM   #11

So,... I am speaking totally out of ignorance. But, I am wondering why the wheels have to be 17" front and rear. I searched supermoto's and can see that they are typically 17's or so. Is it a bad thing if you had the stock wheels with street tires? I also searched stock tire sizes and found that there are street tires for the stock wheel sizes.

So now my question becomes this: Why can we not use the stock wheels and put street tires on them?

Is it just for aesthetic reasons or is there something mechanical or scientific I am missing?

KPXF08-05 Rear Wheel/Rim
KPXF08-07 Rear Sprocket
KPXF08-01 Rear Brake Disc/Rotor
KPXF08-04 Rear Wheel Bushing RH
KPXF08-06 Rear Wheel Bushing LH

KPXF07-05 Front Wheel/Rim
KPXF07-07 Front Brake Disc/Rotor
KPXF07-06 Front Wheel Bushing LH

I have zero knowledge on how much these parts cost, but am trying to find out.

=========
Edit:

After posting the above, I then found the below:

https://www.pro-carbonracing.com/

Smaller wheels
Supermotos typically run smaller, 17” wheels front and rear, unlike dirt bikes which usually have larger wheels at the front than the back. Supermoto wheels are smaller chiefly to give the bike a lower centre of gravity and reduce weight, improving the handling on tarmac.

Seems that a Hawk or Hawk-like bike will not really fall into the tarmac performance category. I would not be worried about all that speed for cornering and/or hooning. MPG's while commuting or running errands? Yup. I get that. Just for looks is cool too, they do look good. I think because of all this, I will not pursue supermoto wheels and just find out how much stock parts are to see if that'd be worth it for commuting then knobbies on the weekends.

Last edited by MeToo; 12-26-2023 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Found more info...