View Single Post
Old 11-15-2023, 10:35 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magician16 View Post
Before I got married I rode a Kawasaki KZ900, and my girl friend(later wife) wanted me to teach her how to drive it. I told her I would teach her how to drive it if she could pick it up because dropping bikes is part of learning how to drive. If you have never driven a bike, start with something light and low in power and cheap.

I started riding again about 5 years ago when I bought my Magician. I bought it to get back into riding because it was the cheapest enduro style I could get that had a comfortable for me ride height. It was a great choice for me. If I was to do it again, I would still go low price, low power to make sure I was going to keep riding.
The RE Himilayan lists for ~$5500. Add dealer prep, sales tax, insurance and registration, and you are well North of $6000. It is probably one of the best choices for an adventure tour bike if you plan to actually go off the pavement because of its lighter weight and unusually low center of gravity (most bikes in this class are horribly top heavy!).

But the point is that the Lifan KPR 250 will come in at more than $2000 less than that, about $3600-3800, depending. And it weighs under 280lbs dripping wet.

Also, personal property tax on the Lifan around here would be under $100. It is a 250. Bigger bikes have higher annual property tax and higher insurance premiums. It isn't just the bike you are buying! I was able to add my Templar 250 to an existing Geico plan for about $35 because I bought it outright and all I wanted was liability (financial responsibility) and uninsured motorist insurance. Finance a bike and you will be required to have comprehensive insurance, and pay much more.

I pay nearly 3 times as much in annual property tax than insurance. If you finance, you still pay both and the insurance will be significant.

Last edited by Thumper; 11-15-2023 at 12:12 PM.