Thread: Riding Boots
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2023, 07:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdano711 View Post

I can see the silliness going the other way, where the rider has a stupid sense of over-confidence because of the "armor" they're wearing and performs riding maneuvers he knows he's not capable of. Catch my drift?
this has always been a big problem for me.

ever since I was a little kid riding 3 wheelers.

once that full face helmet goes on I feel like I’m in a car. Like I have all this protection around me. I still get that feeling now. And when I’m wearing all the gear I feel it even more.

I try hard not to act on it, but it's there in the background.

I don’t think there’s any way to get rid of that feeling. It just happens. back in the day I used to ride in flip flops, shorts and sunglasses. I rode very aggressively, right at the edge of performance, but definitely never ever a chance of falling or crashing at least I thought in my mind.

Not exaggerating. That's how I used to ride sport bikes, using the little upper bit of the flip flop for pushing up on the shifter so it didn't hurt my foot. Just sunglasses, shorts.

I'd ride crazy hard like that back in the day on a Ninja zx-7 then a CBR 900RR. WOT, laying on the tank to keep the front wheel down stuff. Bumping my knee out and dragging footpegs in town stuff

When I put my helmet on back then, I'd ride stupid crazy. Lucky I didn't die from a deer too. Back then, I didn't even think about it when blasting around fast in the middle of the night to cool off on hot summer nights.

Figure I used up all my 9 lives doing that back in the day so now I'm pretty much all the gear all the time.

But I do notice the gear makes me feel more invincible like putting on a helmet used to, which isn't a good thing. I try not to act on it, but I'm sure I do just a little. It's a feeling of comfort, of safety. Of "well, if I dump the bike it won't hurt that much.".

Not good

Pic of the gear I ride in on warmer days. That's for street to off road so hi viz:

upload pic