View Single Post
Old 09-28-2023, 01:32 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by rithac View Post
I looked at the suggested Lifan KPX250, and really liked it. It appeared to check all the "would like to have" marks. However the price and is $1000 more than the other options.

Would the Lifan x-pect be worth considering, it does has EFI but only 19"/17" wheels and the x-pro version is about $1600. (Not sure what the shipping would be)

Just swapping hats to argue for the KPX. It doesn't I think from Venom have shipping so would it still be $1000 more?

Now these are my thoughts on EFI:

EFI buys you nothing but cold start convenience if we are all truthful.

EFI on cars is direct cylinder injection. EFI on motorcycles is just simple port injection as in you gain nothing over using a carburetor performance or benefit wise. Its just a carb body with an injector screwed into it. It sprays mist and that gets sucked along with air into the air intake manifold just like a carburetor delivers the fuel. No difference. No direct cylinder metered injection.

The early EFI Harley-Davidsons... everyone that owned one was ripping out the EFI and putting back on the old style carburetors because the EFI had propblems and the early EFI Harleys were burning through more fuel than the old style carburetors did.

Once you try and modify your bike, and that's if you modify your bike. Then EFI becomes a hindrance rather than a help. Get new exhaust or modify or replace the air intake, now you need to reprogram new fueling maps for the EFI. First does your EFI support reprogramming. Second does the EFI have a programming tool available that works with it. Third can you afford the hundreds of dollars involved in buying special tools and special cables or adapters to plug into your EFI? Fourth are there any fueling maps already available for your bike and the parts you swapped out on your bike that you can base your initial tuning on or do you have to green fields the whole new EFI map and do lots of testing?

Are you good at troubleshooting computers/electronics on top of troubleshooting mechanical systems?\You are going have to get good if you want to maintain your bike over the long term. You need to be able to troubleshoot false signals. Code says its the O2 sensor, could end up not being the O2 sensor but a wire that's corroded or nicked or shorted out. Carburetors once you learn them are logical troubleshooting hardware. If symptom is X then you look at Y to fix it. EFI can turn into spaghetti troubleshooting.

But also don't read me wrong, if nothing goes wrong, EFI is awesome. Its when it does or when you want to do something other than stock OEM setup.

Carburetors you need to treat them right. I don't turn my bike off and call it done after a ride. I leave the engine running, turn off the fuel pet cock to closed and let the engine continue to run while I get out of my gear. Soon the bike runs through the fuel in the float bowl and the engine dies. I then turn the bike off. Knock on wood I have never had an issue with it to date no matter how much time goes by in-between rides.
- #42 / #120 Jets
- 1mm thick nitrile O-ring needle shim (removed)
- Kenda K761 Dual Sport Tires
- Sedona Standard Thickness Inner Tubes
- Stock OEM battery, carburetor, spark plug still going strong
- https://youtu.be/dhAYEKH-jFQ

1. Texas Pete's Templar X 250 Torque Specifications Sheet
  2. Texas Pete's Engine Displacement Calculator
  3. Texas Pete's Tire and Rim Compatibility