View Single Post
Old 09-04-2023, 12:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmnh View Post
Thanks for the reply. It has a Zongshen 223cc, 4 stroke in it. From what I find on the internet it doesn’t appear to be counterbalanced.

It was smooth as can be for the first 300 miles. Then something changed. Very noticeable and significant vibrations. I’ll try and upload a video. You can see and hear the rear brake pedal and kickstarter vibrate when it’s reved over 4K.
I agree it doesn't look like a counterbalanced engine. But lots of nice components on that bike at that price point. Really.

Do you feel any change in the amount of power it develops?

Since it has low miles, it is possible that something in there has loosened up. Unlikely, but possible. Cam chain tensioner?

Clutch basket bolts? Stator bolt (less likely, I think)? Does the clutch feel any different?

If it isn't too much trouble, maybe pop the clutch cover and check those bolts. As I say, unlikely, and I am not sure it would cause a vibration.

My 249cc 172-FMM-3A developed a "rattle" with a slight "ring" that sounds a bit like could be a sprocket. It is a 5speed, no counterbalance ass'y.
I am thinking possibly the cam chain tensioner (loose cam chain rattle?).
But the bike is just as powerful as ever. I thought it was the front sprocket but the retainer offset bolts (2x 10mm into the sprocket) are nice and tight, and the rear sprocket is fine, so I am thinking cam chain tensioner. It seems coming from the cylinder/head area, not the bottom end, so I will look into that soon.