Thread: hawk update
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2023, 08:07 PM   #12

Boring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapkin View Post
the tire is holding up okay. I am going to get every mile out of it I can and then put a more dual-sport type tire on the back. The front is great, but it doesn't have my big booty on it. hehehe.
Mine (rear tire)is holding up surprising good too. I don't baby mine, but I try not to abuse the bike, mainly because of the reputation of the rims. I like both my TBR7 and Hawk, but I honestly think the Hawk was probably a better bike right off the line. I have a little more power on the 7 now, but I think that both bikes were equal in power , until I did the head, and the 4 degree key. I think I just lost a little love for the 7, because I was having to work on it lately. It never did have anything majorly wrong with it, but I drove the bike for a year, and never had the tank off, and then I had to replace the throttle cable, so I did the head, while I waited for the cable, and was tickled that I finally got around to doing it. I rode the bike a few times, and it started acting up, and off comes the tank again. It was probably the coil not being grounded properly, but I don't know if it was that, or some water in the gas, or just a wire connector. Either way I got that took care of, but thought that I would order a new coil, and CDI, and as soon as I tried the bike with the new CDI, it acted like it wasn't wanting to turn over very good with the electric start, almost like the timing was too high, so I put my old CDI back on, and it acted the same. I was able to kick start it, and it ran already, so I went for a ride, and noticed that my gas gauge was moving like a tach, and come to find out it was because of the way I rerouted my inductive tachometer wire to be neater when I had the tank off, so off comes the tank again. I don't really think the CDI was behind the cranking issue. I think it was just a coincidence that the battery died . I ordered a new battery, and it seems alright, and looking back on it, I do seem to remember the TBR7 starter would kinda almost stop briefly, and then start cranking for some time now. Everything that I have done to the Hawk has been on the cheap, and it benefited from everything I have did. I wasn't very pleased with the sound after de cating it, but I drilling four 7/16" holes in the" inner plate" of the muffler , and I got what I think is a good sound, and the deceleration kackle. I did spring for an adjustable shock for it, and it was well worth it. I think that I have it set up pretty good too, because I can make good time on back roads. . I went for a long ride on a variety of roads today on the Hawk, and even though I got kinda lost , and ended way farther away than I intended, I wasn't at all worried, because I had plenty of gas, and confidence in the bike. I may have taken the TBR7, but it didn't have as much gas, and I didn't want to go into town. I need to ride it the next time, and then I will probably start realizing that it's just as good, which I know it is. It does have around 4,500 on the odometer now, and the Hawk about half that much, or a little more, not only because I've had it longer, but I think I liked it better at first, but the Hawk has really grown on me.