View Single Post
Old 08-18-2023, 12:26 AM   #145

18 August 23 -

Robert Liston (28 October 1794 – 7 December 1847) was a British surgeon. Liston was noted for his speed and skill in an era prior to anesthetics, when speed made a difference in terms of pain and survival. In the most famous amputation in history, he amputated the leg of a patient in under 2 and half minutes (the patient died afterwards in the ward from hospital gangrene; they usually did in those pre-Listerian days). He was so fast (and arguably careless) that he also amputated the fingers of his young assistant (who died afterwards in the ward from hospital gangrene). At the same time time, he slashed through the coat tails of a distinguished surgical spectator, who was so terrified that the knife had pierced his vitals he fainted from fright (and was later discovered to have died from shock). This episode has since been dubbed as the only known surgery in history with a 300 percent mortality rate.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up