View Single Post
Old 08-15-2023, 08:27 AM   #7

What I found after turning loose of the hawk and buying the KLR is that the 650 is exactly what I had hoped the Hawk would be. I would highly recommend the largest motor up to that size which you can afford. I bought a 2001 model and you can get them for less than a new Hawk if you search. for a bit more, you can move up the age range depending on your budget. I've seen some of the Gen 2's (2008 and up) going for less than 3 grand. again...patience and searching.

HOWEVER....I've seen lots of positive talk about Suzuki's DR650 as well. it's very dependent on what your interests are. The DR is lighter and better off-road. The KLR is better on-road. I saw someone post that the DR sweet spot is 50/50 riding. the KLR sweet spot is 75/25.

Either of these bikes are rock solid and will do what you want. mine has 43k miles and running just fine for me. Yeah...a little TLC attention, but nothing we're not familiar with having owned chinese bikes. Either of them, with gearing changes can go either direction as well. 16 tooth on the front, better for highway. 15 is stock. 14 on the front and it's a force for off-road riding. geared low enough to climb a tree.

food for thought!

Bikes I've owned: Suzuki GS450T, Yamaha XS500, Honda V45 Sabre, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic (2), Suzuki VX800, Kawasaki Ninja 650, Triumph TT600, Honda Superhawk, Kawasaki Concours 1000 (3, including a sidecar rig), Buell XB9R, Kawasaki Nomad 1500, Concours 14, Honda Goldwing (2), Housen Hawk, Suzuki Intruder 1400, Kawasaki KLR650, Victory V92TC.