View Single Post
Old 06-17-2023, 06:31 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
If it's a good replacement ZS 172 engine, youve got valves and carb adjusted and you break it in right, the engine should last.

It great to hear you got it going! All of that wrenching also gave you lots of hands on with this bike too. You know the bike inside and out now!
Yes, I have gotten to know this bike far more than I expected, but that is a good thing.

Your posts (and a couple others) have been extremely helpful and appreciated.
I will certainly check out the motor resource. Thank you.

When reassembling the motor, the trickiest part for me was getting the cam chain back on and with the correct timing. It took a few tries, but I got it. One attached photo shows the position the other shows the intake valve where it was hitting the piston and is definitely bent. My timing may look a little off, but it is just my angle with the phone.

I believe the timing was off on the original motor. The ticking noise I heard, and thought was just the valve train, was most likely the piston hitting the valve. That noise is gone now and the motor is actually pretty quiet.

Hopefully going for a test run tomorrow. It has been raining here for a week...
Attached Images

2022 Hawk 250 - Mikuni clone carb, jetted appropriately. Pro Tork CRF 150 pipe. Nibbi pod filter. Tusk Chub bars with riser adapters. Amazon levers and foot pegs. Typical gearing change for street... Acerbis hand guards. Nibbi grips. Shortened rear fender. No graphics

2022 Templar X - Stock carb rejetted appropriately, Nibbi grips, Amazon hand guards. Amazon seat cover. Acerbis skid plate, heavily modded. Shortened rear "fender". Custom graphic kit.