View Single Post
Old 05-06-2023, 09:08 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
I used high heat flat black paint on the steel cat bulb on the Storm (I think it is the same exhaust used on the Brozz and Recon, or was). I also drilled out the muffler to gain some flow. I definitely felt a horsepower or two gain, but more importantly, it revs easier and felt more peppy.

I have not tried to work with stainless steel yet.

https://www.chinariders.net/showthre...ighlight=storm
The "cat bulb " looks just like the one on my Brozz, but the muffler was very different on the Brozz. It had no end cap, and was what I am pretty sure a fiberglass lined muffler, and it was probably more restricted than the cat, because it's end was sealed off, except for about a 15mm-16mm opening in the end, and it had a long narrow pipe basic running the entire length of the muffler. I cut the opening large, and was surprised at how long the little pipe was,. I think exhaust gases had to enter the body of the muffler, and then somehow work their way back down to the open end of the small diameter pipe to exit. The bike was crazy quit when stock, and evy after the removal of the cat, but as soon as I opened the end of the muffler, and removed the long thin pipe, it was loud like an aftermarket exhaust. My Hawk evidently has a chambered muffler, and with cat gone, and baffle out, it's louder than stock, but NOT like aftermarket exhaust. I did my Brozz cat removal about like yours , only I cut half way through the pipe on each end of the "cat bulb". .