View Single Post
Old 04-06-2023, 12:23 PM   #5

AC, or DC, or BOTH! ?

Having a good set of tools is important. A combination wrench will suffice for the axel bolt(s), but a dedicated socket is helpful, and a breaker bar. Chain tool, spoke wrench(es), tire spoons, etcetra are must have motorcyce tools.

The other thing you really need is a good voltmeter, and in depth familiarity of the type of stator you have, and where the rectifier/regulator is. I cut my teeth on GS series Suzuki 4 cylinder bikes. They had notoriously weak stators, prone to failure. That is when I learned what a diode does! Testing a charging system takes less than a minute when you have a voltmeter! At least, a good charging system takes less than a minute (charging or not!).

All of that charging system knowledge came in handy when I needed to troubleshoot an old cast iron block 10hp Kohler engine on my Gravely 1972 walk behind. I quickly figured out that the stator was putting out just fine (about 35V, AC at 1200-1500 rpm), but that the rectifier was blown. $15 later, it was running. You tube videos on electrical systems are a good place to stator if you need to learn about these charging systems.