View Single Post
Old 03-03-2023, 05:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
My front forks and rear shock are KKE on the X model. The logo is on the cap. The small shims that Joe Henner put under the retaining washer on the top seems like a great way to introduce preload. And you don't even have to remove the fork tubes.

That is a pretty simple procedure. You might want 20mm instead of 10. Buy as set of those from Joe. If they work, you are done. Or you can find a machinist to make them with 20mm length.

FYI- I have upside down forks on the Storm. I switched to Motul Expert 15W medium/heavy. The front end stopped bottoming out. I like the stiffer forks too.

Changing the oil isn't bad. You do need to remove them, but just pour it out and refill. If you do all of that, then placing shims under the spring (as Dan suggests) wouldn't be much more work.
I finally reached Joe Henner. I had to open a Facebook account to reach him (something I really didn't want to do) but he responded to my question about the KKE preload spacers. He said they should not be stacked and that he will get back to me tomorrow about purchasing them.

I also ordered a liter of Motul 15w fork oil. I double-checked my forks for identification and sure enough, right there on the caps, plain as day, "KKE". I know I've seen that before! Another senior moment... now what were we talking about?