View Single Post
Old 02-01-2023, 07:00 PM   #56

update on idle stability

I did already describe sealing up the "manifold" up against the head with high temp RTV (single port intake plenum ?? )

Anyway, I was wondering about the OEM fuel filter. Is it flowing freely? So I got an inexpensive high flow 1/4" inline filter (under $4 from auto parts store). It is small and was an easy install.

Name:  inlineFuelFilter.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  32.6 KB

I also worked on the choke linkage, which was sticky. After assembling it all back together, put the gas tank back on, added a gallon of premium (I use no ethanol high octane during break-in), and started it.

It needed some choke, but settled into a nice idle-elevated with my new easy big knob slide height screw! After a few revs, I dropped the slide a bit and ran it for a minute to warm up the engine (COLD OUT). Then took a ride. Running great and when I returned a few minutes later, I parked it and dropped the idle to ~1500rpm. Steady and stable, no stall!!!

I think a combination of leaky intake manifold seal and slow flow filter might have been causing the unstable idle and stalling. FIXED!