View Single Post
Old 01-11-2023, 12:48 PM   #2

Building the test harness

I gave the bike a quick once over. Nothing burnt looking, nothing burnt smelling. That is a good first step.

No batteries and missing the side cover that is normally installed over the batteries.

Also no battery harness, there are two 12 volt 7ah to 9ah batteries that are supposed to sit side-by-side in the tray and then are wired in series to 24 volts with a harness that includes a 30-amp automotive fuse. All this is missing so I'll have to rebuild a harness if the bike is a go.

For now time to build a test rig to see if the electronics are all still a go.

For the power I will be co-opting a data center tape backup power supply. This is a 48v high amperage power supply that gives me a huge amount of flexibility in powering any electrical project from low voltage microcontrollers to electrical motors.

Name:  Power Supply Data Center and DC2DC.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  179.4 KB

To tame all that power I use a DC to DC digital converter to dial in specific parameters for the output electrical feed. Here I am just reading the raw electrical output from the data center power supply.

Name:  DC2DC reading Data Center Output.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  177.8 KB

Now to build an output power harness. I need banana plug to spring clips. I had an old electrical cord from a dead washing machine hanging around so I cut it up and reused it for this project.

Name:  Building Output Harness.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  247.9 KB

The banana plugs were mechanical screw connections against barrel for securing the wire. The other side I didn't have anything but some Harbor Freight? test clips that needed some soldering. All done.

Name:  Soldering Output Harness Test Clip Jaws.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  258.1 KB
- #42 / #120 Jets
- 1mm thick nitrile O-ring needle shim (removed)
- Kenda K761 Dual Sport Tires
- Sedona Standard Thickness Inner Tubes
- Stock OEM battery, carburetor, spark plug still going strong
- https://youtu.be/dhAYEKH-jFQ

1. Texas Pete's Templar X 250 Torque Specifications Sheet
  2. Texas Pete's Engine Displacement Calculator
  3. Texas Pete's Tire and Rim Compatibility