Thread: Templar X 250
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2023, 05:54 PM   #973

Doh! Clutch as a brake

OK. I was just plain wrong on this.

I took my 6 speed Temp X out (50 degrees out today ) and went to the store for a new 1.75L Evan Williams which I dropped into my pack, and drove towards home. I took a detour onto the berms in the exit ramp and with the engine warmed up, did some testing. On a steep but short incline, I allowed it to roll back and used the clutch to brake, over and over. I also used it to recover and wheelie over the top a few times. I also stopped on the steepest part and used the clutch to hold position, then allowed it to roll back, then used it as a brake a few times.

The clutch never complained at all. No weird noises, no chudder. Just smooth forward thrust.

So based on all of the "use of clutch" videos for off road use, and now my own testing (I don't believe much unless I experience it ), the design of the multiplate wet clutch is completely OK with using the engine to make the drive train go forward from forward but slow, stopped, or rolling in reverse. I am not the authority on this, just the student getting a lesson.

Apparently, these multiplate wet clutches are pretty durable under such abuse. The force is spread over LOTS of surface area. It makes sense from an engineering point of view.

Now, whether that works as engineered depends on the quality of the components, and if they are assembled, tensioned (to torque spec), and that the slipping surfaces are fabricated with good materials, and to spec.

So if it doesn't like it, there is something wrong

Who sez you can't teach an old dog new tricks?

And BTW, this thread is approaching 1000 posts. The Templar series has an average failure rate (problems on arrival, issues showing up within 500 miles), but the price/value calculation is holding up fo most people pretty well. For those that have issue right now, and need PSM to respond, good luck. I guess a crate bike is just a crate bike. There is some luck of the draw at play.

Last edited by Thumper; 01-06-2023 at 07:20 PM.