View Single Post
Old 12-30-2022, 04:46 AM   #18

Nice looking CB350 McQueen. That is indeed one bulletproof engine.

Three Hondas in my past, that I remember.

1974-ish CB400F supersport, in red
It had the narrow coffin tank with matching long narrow seat with a stylish chrome bezel, a rather heavy, but cool four into one original exhaust. Very low miles and never wrecked. I think the redline was like 11000. Maybe 10500. Six gears, close ratio. It might have made only 16 hp but what range and endless gear choices...and sounded FABULOUS!

1980-2 XR500R. It had an automatic decompression valve that the kick start transiently engaged for easy starts. 5 speed dirt bike. I managed to plate it even though no turn signal or horn. I am not sure if it even had a battery. I had money on the companion XL500 but the dealership sold it on me just before I picked it up. Gee.

Lastly, a 1972-4ish CB450 with DOHC in green with nice chrome trim on the tank. This bike ran great. I bought it from an Air Force guy in Albuquerque complete with base parking sticker.

I think I sold it to buy a GS850 shaftie. That thing had a bad stator. It kept draining the battery. That was an Achilles heal of the early GS series. It was a 3wire AC stator. Sold it and bought a fantastic GS 1100 TSCC 16V in Candy apple red with close color-matched narrow cafe fairing with tallish narrow dark smoked windscreen (Cheetah, as I recall)... Muth styled tank. That was a real flagship!

Oh, what were we talking about? Oh, Hondas, yeah!

Sorry, I got side-tracked