View Single Post
Old 12-18-2022, 08:20 PM   #47

Lowered Templar X

It worked. It is an aluminum shock body, so it was EASY to drill. Make sure you drill straight. 10mm is perfect, works great.

Name:  NewHoles.JPG
Views: 598
Size:  175.7 KB

Name:  BoltIN.JPG
Views: 583
Size:  163.6 KB

Name:  LoweredLower.JPG
Views: 584
Size:  155.2 KB

I made the new holes 1" from the OEM mounting so dropped from 460mm to 435mm effective shock length. Me and my son estimated 4.8" for a full inch if it is linear. But we weren't sure if the linkage would make it less. Well, this bike will be EASY to throw a leg over now!
The kickstand is a bit long now but works on level ground! I'd like to TIGHTEN the preload now. It may need it.

My guess is it is about a ~3" drop. It's good!

And it really worked as planned If you want to do this, but just want a 2.5 inch drop, aim for a ~3/4" distance to the new holes, or maybe just under 3/4".

The chain got tighter, so I moved the rear axel forward a bit. I have more work to do before I put it all back together. I am working on the carb and some wiring rerouting. I think I need to tighten the rear shock preload if I want to keep this height. It will be easy enough to park it with the kickstand in a hole or downhill until I tighten up the rear shock preload. That might make it work better.

FYI, I did this on this 2022 1/2 6speed Temp X, which is also geared up with 39T rear sprocket from the OEM 49T sprocket. It still has the OEM 13T front sprocket. But I think I'll get a 42T or 44T rear sprocket. I just don't drive that fast, stick to two lanes anyway.

This might be a good setup for a supermotard conversion too

Last edited by Thumper; 05-11-2023 at 05:55 PM.