View Single Post
Old 10-13-2022, 10:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Which nibbi? Pe28 or 30? I am going to guess a 30 seeing how temperamental it is, but I want to know for sure before proceeding
Agreed... pe30 seems to fight ya on tuning stability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruces View Post
You haven’t ported or shaved your head or installed a timing key for starters ,removing the cat on the stock pipe is the only thing I see that helps the engine breathe better which isn’t enough to warrant the carb you have .Do a search on the pe30 pretty sure Dan has a write up about it .

Agreed, PE30 can be made to work, but it's a lot of hassle, not stable in state of tune, and isn't warranted in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
The PE30 is going to be hard to tune on a non modified engine. On my Hawk which I ported and decked the head and free flowing exhaust i had a hard time tuning. I ended up with a 38 pilot. The same PE30 on my X22R needed a 28 pilot. The X22R was heavily modded.
Same! I had a heck of a time with the pe30 on my Hawk with all the "fixin's". It was just so damned tempermental!

OP: My Hawk is a 2020 with ported/polished/shaved head, 4deg timing key, full stainless exhaust, pod air filter, oil cooler, long duration cam, roller followers, CG300 cylinder and piston... pretty much everything.

The PE30 on my build was still a pain in the butt. Great power when it was dialed and stayed that way, but I had to modulate the idle speed on startup, throughout the ride, and again after riding.. even without the knob moving, it wasn't stable.

Went to a PE28 and it's 5x better. Not as much peak power, but idle is stable, and power delivery is more smooth.

The PE30 is basically a great choice for an all out race build... it's just not right on a street/dirt use case.

And without a ported/shaved head and timing advance, all those other goodies, what you have done (while good) isn't enough to justify such a large and moody carb.

I found my best rideability, smoothness, idle, no fiddling with jets as much with weather, all that.... using a lowly VM26.

You may want to consider changing carburetors. That PE30 can be made to work, mostly... but you'll always be fiddling with it.