View Single Post
Old 10-02-2022, 11:40 PM   #5

Templar X versus vintage dirt bikes

PSM has been good. The credit card thing also affected me, even after buying two Templar X (1 5speed, 1 6speed). I bought a wiring harness, and the snag was either Ter versus Terrace, or my middle initial on the card. But I had to email to fix it. That fixed the order.

I took out the 5speed tonight, and had some fun on a couple of highway exit/entrance ramp areas. These were mowed last month, but there are ruts and rain runoff trenches grown back. The Templar eats these up with confidence inspiring ease. It's fun to treat passing motorists on the highway with wheelies and jumps. Got some honks.

The days of getting one of these Templars for $1800 are probably over. Non-sale price is creeping towards $2000 before shipping. But I was looking at old 2 stroke (and 4 stroke) Yamahas, Kawasakis, Suzukis going for $4000 and more on ebay. I owned a couple of them back in the day, rode many more them, and none of them are as easy to ride and confidence inspiring as the Templar X is today.

More power on the 70s 2 strokes, but the old suspension wasn't up to handling it anyway. Some got close, but the technology wasn't quite there. Monoshocks helped moving into the 80s, but the frames were still heavy and front suspension still needed more development.

The Temp X is still worth every penny at $1900 plus shipping, or more. This is one seriously kick-assed enduro. All I did was rejet the thing and it seems to make over 20hp. The torque comes in early, and the engine (ZS172-FMM) is awesome. The frame and suspension are excellent and 268lbs is not heavy! Short-shifter, roller throttle, adjustable levers, and fully adjustable suspension is just amazing. I hope they get more in stock for you. Jump on it if you can.

Last edited by Thumper; 10-03-2022 at 08:54 AM.