View Single Post
Old 09-28-2022, 08:36 AM   #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpiano View Post
Does anyone have any advice for my carb setup? I am having some issues ever since changing the jetting on my VM26 that was linked here.
I have tried everything from 100-120 jets without much avail. Is everyone running a 110-120 jet on the Amazon VM26? as soon as I go past 1/4-1/2 throttle it will bog and die. It was running fine on the stock unmarked jet but only on CHOKE that appeared to be about the size of a #100 jet to my untrained eye. It also is having a pretty lumpy idle but I may need to continue working on the idle screw. I am worried about the stock air box too as it seems like the opening is not a completely perfect fit to the VM26. I am thinking I may get a 45mm pod filter and try that

Current state:
- orange box CDI w/ NGK plug
- removed emissions stuff
- stock airbox and filter
- stock VM26 pilot jet
- valves adjusted and in spec

I do not have the catalytic converter removed as I'm not sure I want to invest in a new exhaust if I haven't even been able to properly get everything sorted without it.

Today I tried a 120 and it bogged worse. I think I have a #105 in it now and tried moving the needle one spot richer (2nd to lowest). Should I try going back to the original CDI? The spark plug gap may be out of spec but I'm not sure that would cause bogging at 1/2 throttle.
Gosh, you've done almost everything I have done to mine and it runs great. A couple questions though. Did you plug the line coming off the intake manifold after removal of emissions stuff? Why not remove the cat in the headpipe? I cut mine lengthwise with a grinder and cut 1" crossways and peeled back the side and removed the cat, then brazed back together. It sure sounds like an air leak to me with bogging but you may want to double check the pilot jet for blockage, Good luck, keep us updated.