View Single Post
Old 09-19-2022, 01:49 PM   #79

Well, other than waiting for my new Shinko 705's to arrive, the DRZ project is done.

Starting from the intake, the bike already had the "3x3 mod" (big hole you cut in the top of the air box), and a foam filter. I upgraded the Mikuni BSR36 CV carb to a Keihin (China copy) FCR39 Slant carb and just finished a 10 week long forum class on jetting and needles, to get it completely tuned in by professional, who was willing to work with me. I was very fortunate here. I've been tuning carbs for 50 of my 63 years and this guy took me down an entirely different path.

I installed the 434cc big big bore kit and a pair if Stage 2 Hotcams. At the same time, I replaced the timing chain and installed the manual cam chain tensioner, just because I was in there.

I topped the motor work off with an FMF Power Bomb header that attached to my Leo Vince chambered exhaust. Needless to say, the bike now scoots.

Then I converted the S model to an SM and also resprung the rear shock with a stiffer Racetech spring to hold up my girth. Then, new braided brake lines (no, the venerable DRZ doesn't come with them like most China bikes. Go figure). Of course, all fluids have been flushed and changed, along with new coolant hoses.....oh....and the new Acerbis gas tank.

I guess it's time to ride! Now I need to find a new project. I was seriously looking at an old Brit bike like a BSA A65....but then why on Earth would I want to buy yet another set of (Whitworth) tools!? Seriously looking at older Honda's now. Got my eyes on a 1970 CL350. Time will tell.....and I still have a Victory to sell.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350