Thread: "CG125" Clone
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2022, 01:19 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
Yeah, I would be inclined to think that it won't work unfortunately, though I'm excited to see what you come up with!

If your cylinder head is the same as what I posted in the other thread (trying to figure out what the engine was), it appears to have three plain bearings for the cam to run on, as opposed to two roller bearings on the 03-06 CRF150F/CRF230 cams; that was the major update to that engine family, besides the increased stroke on the 230, which reminds me, apparently the stud spacing wasn't changed for the 230, just an increase in stroke.

I think for the 'clone' engines, they did increase the stud spacing, but I would have to double check.

You'll probably have to cut the bearing off of the sprocket side of the cam to make it work, and press off the bearing on the non-drive side, but even then there is the distinct probability of different measurements for the length of the cam, the diameter of the plain bearings, etc.
The cam uses two roller bearings and has a removable cam gear if I remember correctly. I had removed the cam cover to do a quick visual check before ordering. For some reason trying to remember now I cannot say if I actually verified that the gear was removable.

I was unable to check the actual spacings of the bearings and lobes as I am still waiting on my calipers to get in. Got the alert yesterday that they were delivered to my freight forwarder in Miami.

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
I would invest in a pair of calipers to double check everything, and plan on making friends with a welder/machinist if you really want to make the cam fit/work.

Another option, if you want to keep the engine, is possibly have a cam reprofiled by somebody like Webcams. I'd get a spare cam and send that to them, because if any aftermarket cams are available, they will be coming out of the UK.

I think your best bet is to get a CB or CG style engine and hot rod one of them, this way you can find parts without having to make your own (or get them custom made).

I'm along for the ride, in any case!
I intend to get the engine apart and actually take some proper measurements once the remainder of my tools get in. My biggest issue currently is that I am unable to source a head-gasket from the dealer and without that, I am a bit hesitant to pull the engine apart. I might get lucky and have it be MLS so I can re-use it with a slight coating of copper spray but I would have to take it apart to be sure.

My thought process currently in getting parts are that if they work for this engine great, if not I am likely to grab an engine from a crf230 clone. I think they go by the "Monster" / "Hi Rev" brand locally.

These are the only pictures I can find online which show the possible donor engine/bike.

Last edited by jamrock876; 07-16-2022 at 03:06 PM. Reason: corrected a typo