Thread: "CG125" Clone
View Single Post
Old 07-16-2022, 12:26 PM   #21

Yeah, I would be inclined to think that it won't work unfortunately, though I'm excited to see what you come up with!

If your cylinder head is the same as what I posted in the other thread (trying to figure out what the engine was), it appears to have three plain bearings for the cam to run on, as opposed to two roller bearings on the 03-06 CRF150F/CRF230 cams; that was the major update to that engine family, besides the increased stroke on the 230, which reminds me, apparently the stud spacing wasn't changed for the 230, just an increase in stroke.

I think for the 'clone' engines, they did increase the stud spacing, but I would have to double check.

You'll probably have to cut the bearing off of the sprocket side of the cam to make it work, and press off the bearing on the non-drive side, but even then there is the distinct probability of different measurements for the length of the cam, the diameter of the plain bearings, etc.

I would invest in a pair of calipers to double check everything, and plan on making friends with a welder/machinist if you really want to make the cam fit/work.

Another option, if you want to keep the engine, is possibly have a cam reprofiled by somebody like Webcams. I'd get a spare cam and send that to them, because if any aftermarket cams are available, they will be coming out of the UK.

I think your best bet is to get a CB or CG style engine and hot rod one of them, this way you can find parts without having to make your own (or get them custom made).

I'm along for the ride, in any case!