View Single Post
Old 05-25-2022, 08:42 PM   #33

Thanks for the tips ! I've ridden motorcycles all my life but I've never owned such a tall heavy bike before and it definately takes some getting used to ! I grew up with bikes like my 1977 Triumph 750 but never had one till now and even it is a challenge some times
My little Ninja 250R is the perfect height now after lowering it and much work but the riding position isn't very cumfortable for me .
I had the RX4 at near 28" seat height and rode it that way for 119 miles but the ride was impossably hard...come to find out the rear shock was bottomed out all the time.
so I raised it back up to get some suspension back.... but it is still too tall for me
so I am going to make it lower even if it kills me !
I've made a lowering link for a '86 XR650L and that worked great but this lower link is harder to make and will likely take every tool in the shop to make properly !
I do think I will make bushings and not use needle bearings in it to simplify the pivot point and I have been contemplating the length it should be if I go 1" longer with the 2.75:1 ratio of the other lower link on the shock, that should give me a bit more than 2" drop ...but it would be nice if it had a 28" seat height and not 32" so going with a 1.5" longer link should get it about as low as I can go without rubbing the tire on the inner fender on bumps ! it would be really nice if I could use turn buckles so that would be adjustable to what ever height I want !
..... it's not an easy project for this old man ! LOL
yes practicing low speed maneuvers would be a real good idea for me ...I'll do that !
Bob......