View Single Post
Old 05-25-2022, 08:10 PM   #32

You Just Need A Little Practice

I would highly recommend finding an empty parking lot somewhere that you can use to practice your low speed maneuvers. That way you can build up your one foot stopping skills without suffering the embarrassment and danger of dropping the bike on a public street. I almost always use my left foot to support the bike at a stop while holding it at rest with my right foot on the rear brake. I usually have to slide my ass over a bit to the left as I come to a stop, since I only have a 29-30" inseam. It also helps to turn the front wheel to the right a little as you are coming to a stop; this helps to force the bike to tilt to the left, onto your intended support foot. Also, be sure that you are finishing your stops with the rear brake and not the front, since the front can be harder to modulate smoothly, since it is so much more powerful than the rear brake.

With some practice, you may find that you do not need to fabricate a lowering link, being able to keep the bike at its stock height while still being able to control it at a stop.

And yes, the crash bars are handy - I put mine to the test the first time I rode it when I dropped it in a parking lot while practicing tight U-turns and figure eight slow speed maneuvers. There's no shame in dropping the bike - mine is 480 lbs in its single top case configuration; but I think with enough practice, you will gain the low speed skill and confidence to handle the bike comfortably.