View Single Post
Old 05-19-2022, 02:41 AM   #34

the RX4 has a 11:1 compression ratio and if I remember correctly 10:1 is the upper limit to regular gas... but they have fiddled around with the gasoline formulas so much it's really hard to say what the limit for regular is
but through my life I have found with bikes and cars and trucks that if you want to burn regular you just have to change the timing a bit is all....
but it is really hard to say if there is any timing adjustment on the RX4 their manual never mentions it and even though their trouble shooting section says check the timing there is no way to check it.... no instructions on where the timing marks are or what plugs you must pull to see the mark or weather you time it with a timing light or a trouble light or where to adjust the timing.... If I knew that the timing was adjustable or not I would probably already have changed it ...if you can't change the fuel ratio you can change the timing to find the place it runs the best at....
.... I'll never forget timing our ford pinto if I put the timing where the Motors manual said it ran like doo doo.... if I advanced it 10 degrees it ran fantastically....
upon invistigation because of that problem I found the centrifugal spark advance was frozen.... so I fixed that and the vacuum advance which was iffy at best....
I fixed all the problems and it still ran better 10 degrees advanced ! it was weird !
that was about the time I discovered that you could set the timing by the vacuum gauge
(you set the timing for maximum vacuum) ... so just for kicks I tried that and it was best about 8 degrees advanced I had no problems with the running of the car it ran fine for many years till we simply wore it out !
then we got a fuel injected pickup truck (toyota R22) and that vehicle changed my mind on F.I. vehicles ! I never had to tear into the carbs on that little truck ! LOL
and it worked for decades ! never had a bit of trouble with that engine ! changing the timing belt was a pain but that was maintenance !
anyway I'm Rambling on.... so if anyone has played with adjusting the timing on a RX4
I'ed like to hear about it..... I assume you need to use the marks for the valve timing on the lower left of the side case by the magneto... but where is the sending unit and can it be changed any or is it just a put it on, and forget it ?
Bob.....