View Single Post
Old 04-13-2022, 11:17 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
The RX4 has Bosch ABS. Looking at the Bosch literature available here:https://www.bosch-mobility-solutions...ing-system-2w/ it appears that the system is dual channel. They talk about 'enhanced ABS' for two wheel vehicles and the electronic Combined Brake System. The ABS Control Unit Assembly listed by CSC appears to be identical to the enhanced ABS unit shown on the Bosch site. If that's the case, it does not matter which brake you apply...they are linked. Stomp on the rear brake, the ABS will keep it from locking up while it also applies pressure to the front brakes. I'd still clamp down on the front brake in order to make sure there is enough stopping power in an emergency (on a surface that has grip). ABS can usually stop the machine better than the normal human although some racers can actually beat the ABS results. Me, I'll stick with the ABS and call it a day. You do you and we'll all be happy.

Whoa!!!

That’s a terrible bit of technology.

So if I am going down a steep, sandy hill or one with a lot of pebbles on it and gravel or maybe snow or something...

The system will apply the front brake when I apply the rear to slow things down a bit???

That’s a guaranteed crash. The front wheel will definitely wash out in a situation like that.

The way to handle that type of terrain would be to not touch the front brake, kind of let the speed build on the way down the hill because you don’t have full ability to brake, use the back brake a bit, maybe locking it up and slipping it over the rocks/sand, maybe having ABS work on the rear also if you’re inclined.

But for the ABS to start applying any braking pressure to the front wheel in that situation while you are trying to steer down a slippery surface with rocks sticking out everywhere would be a guaranteed crash.

I am so glad I don’t have any of the stuff on my bike.