View Single Post
Old 04-11-2022, 09:13 PM   #3

Today was suspension day. I had some spare time and after the adventures of yesterday I knew the suspension was my biggest problem.
The rear shock is hopeless for me. At 230lbs I'm just too much for it. I've got the preload set to about 3 inches of sag and that's all I can do. It bottoms out pretty regularly, certainly with any bit of a jump, no matter how small. I'm looking for a direct replacement now and have high hopes for an older ktm 250 unit.
The front is a bit better and I think it's something I can work with. First thing I did was dump the old oil out and get a proper measurement. Both sides were dead on 200ml. I suspect the grade is either 7.5 or maybe 10. I refilled it with belray 10 weight @210ml and took measurements while I was there for new springs and custom preload spacers.
The results with the front were great compared to the old set up. I still bottom out but it isn't as severe or as frequent. The front end gives better feedback and is much much smoother. I think some preload spacers will really help while I hunt down springs.