View Single Post
Old 02-19-2022, 12:41 PM   #27

Ok, you guys went too easy on me.

It’s not the tires in sand. It’s the rider. I FINALLY got things to work out today in the deep Florida sand.

To account for the kind of weak engine, I found winding it out a bit in first gear was perfect to get through deep sand. Standing up is also a must.

What surprised me is just how right Michigan Sportsman was! That picture of the ski. I stood up and put my weight as far back as I could. I wound up the engine and went for it fully expecting the front wheel to plow and dump me.

It didn’t! It behaved exactly like a ski! It didn’t track straight and true. I often had to put it hard over to one side or the other to get it to go in the right direction. It slid sideways in the sand instead of digging in and dumping me.

It was FUN! A lot like skiing on snow.

I’m riding with at 19” front wheel, half worn down stock Lifan 50/50 tires and 29.5 psi in the front, 32psi in the rear. I didn’t air down because I wanted to make sure I could ride in the sand without anything to make it easier. And I did! No falls!

I just had my weight too far forward before.

Here are some pictures of what I’m talking about when I say sand. Florida is made from this stuff. The whole state, basically.

Here is how deep it is. I stopped to take a pic for you guys and I didn’t need my kickstand!
The bike is just sitting there upright all on its own. Nothing but sand holding it up.

So if I can do this on the starting to bald Lifan stock tires and full PSI, I don’t think I have to worry as much about the tires as I have been.