View Single Post
Old 01-19-2022, 02:44 PM   #9

Hey Boatguy. This is comparing apples to oranges a little, but it's real world figures instead of estimates.

I'm in Lesotho, Africa, so my bike is different than what you get in the U.S. It's basically a Hawk with a carburetor 223 cc balanced motor in it. Right now I'm trying to see how far it will go on a tank. The tank holds 12 liters which is approximately 3 US gallons. I've put 196 kms (117 miles) on it since I filled it up and still haven't switched to reserve. I just looked in the tank, and I estimate there is still 1 1/2 to 2 liters (quarts) of fuel left, maybe more. Out of those 196 kms, about 60 km (36 miles) have been on tar road at around 45-55 mph. The rest has been gravel road and two track (lots of speed variation, all mountainous. 3rd and 4th gear) plus about 3 hours of off road and single track (1st and 2nd gear). The off road doesn't add up much mileage (maybe 10 miles), but does consume fuel.

I think you will make it. Your smaller fuel injected engine will be more efficient. Unless you expect a lot of sand, you won't be riding in conditions that take a lot of fuel like the single track, playing around in a gravel pit, etc. This may be a bit African, but I'd take a 1 or 2L bottle of petrol along just in case. Pour it in as soon as there is room in your tank.

Take lots of pictures for the rest of us!