View Single Post
Old 01-12-2022, 01:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Tow rating is mostly marketing BS, available payload will typically run out before you exceed towing capacity. A properly loaded 2800# trailer will put somewhere between 300-560# on the hitch, that's a lot of load for a small SUV. If you don't exceed available payload, you'd at least need a good WD hitch to shift weight to the front so you can steer (and that adds another 80-130# or so ;-).

Physics are a bizatch ;-)

Just noticed you said new, look for a yellow sticker on the drivers door jam... that should clearly list available payload as delivered from the factory... dealer add-ons would subtract from that though..
Its a new-to-me 2011, and it has no add ons, other than the "appearance package" which gives me roof rack rails and aluminum wheels over the 100% base model...LOL as for payload? I honestly could care less what the sticker says as the exact same car in europe is rated for 3527# so its just for the sue happy lawyers that its that low...

Just double checked and us spec is 2400# max tow capacity...

I have towed over 4k with my last forester no problem.... yeah its slow and you gotta plan ahead but it can do it... LOL that may have been part of what blew the headgasket come to think of it...