View Single Post
Old 12-18-2021, 08:11 AM   #765

The new guy got to see how I handle CS queries while in Beaufort and remotely.

I wanted a cup of coffee and the new $3000.00 Keurig* is located in the CS/Acct cube farm. Got my coffee and we walked past the CS Supervisors' office. She called out and asked if I could help her with something. She rattled off a model number...

Me-Yeah, that's a motor car. Built in Canada. There should be hard copies on it in Service and Electronic copies on the shared drive.

Cat-I dunno, it's from 1999.

Me-Oh, that's probably the one at Alcoa.

Cat and new guy-Why do you know this?

Me-I'm old.

I showed them both how to navigate through the cluster known as the 'Shared Drive' to find just about any parts manual they'd ever need. If it's not on the 'Shared Drive', I probably have a copy.

Yesterday at the airport, I get a call from Harold that a customer is calling about a transmission part for an older 360 and there isn't a parts breakdown in the manual. I tell him there never was but that I have the transmission parts and service manuals on my laptop. Give me the customers' contact info; I'll call him and send him e-copies of the manuals.

New guy-How do you know all this stuff?

Me-(Shrugs shoulders)I just do.

Then I showed the kid everything I had on my laptop. He wanted to know how to get it all. Told me to get me some coffee and I'd show him.

He got me the coffee(It's good to be the king), I reached into my backpack and handed him my 1T portable hard drive. Told him to copy everything onto his laptop.

New guy-There's over 24,000 files on this!

Me-Yup. There's a few hundred files you won't need and there's nothing personal on there. But, there you are if you're gonna be the new me.

NG-Christ, there's a lot to learn.

Me-Uh-huh. You'll be fine.

*That $3000.00 Keurig. Seems some folks wouldn't refill the water reservoir or remove the used K-cup from the old unit. So, they paid for this monstrosity that is both hard wired and plumbed to the building. It also dumps the used K-cup into a bin. Who's going to empty the bin, I don't know. Myself, I would have removed the old Keurig and told everyone they were on their own for coffee and saved the three grand.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts