Thread: Meow
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2021, 08:23 AM   #11

The seal kit and the electronic ignition showed up for the sled a couple weeks ago. I got around to farting around with it yesterday.
I have the engine 99% apart. The JIS head crankcase screws were installed by Godzilla and his kid. Even using my hoity toity Vessel JIS Impact screwdriver and a 3lb thumb buster, those screws haven't budged. I dicked around with the screws for about 20 minutes, until I missed and shared some skin with the hammer. I quit for the day there. Worse comes to worse, I'll drill off the heads and replace them with 21st century Allen head screws.

The engine itself is pretty clean inside and out. After pulling the blower cover, though, it was obvious that the flywheel side shaft seal was leaking. Pulling the flywheel confirmed it. The points, condenser, and coils(there is a lighting coil)were coated with oil. I'm surprised it fired at all with what looked like a .040 point gap.

I was going to replace the points and condenser with new but found that those are unobtainium, so went with the electronic ignition. Over the years of running this old crap, best to move on to more modern stuff to keep it working. I could have probably found an NOS condenser, but that NOS condenser is also 50 years old. Probably work okay. For a while.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts