View Single Post
Old 11-06-2021, 11:19 AM   #14

Hellcat welding repair

Off road riding is a contact sport and then there is the general state of China bike manufacture, which means shortly after getting my first China bike I did begin to wonder when I would need to seriously consider learning to weld and obtain welding equipment. That day came a month ago when I found the Hellcat Rectifier bracket swinging by the wiring. I ordered the least expensive 130 amp, 110 volt, MIG flux core welder I could get that had good reviews, a welding helmet, and some good flux core wire.

I thought welding helmets just had a piece of “sunglass” material in them but the inexpensive one I got had a self-darkening adjustable shade with sensitivity adjusting function and a timed delay. Complex, I thought for a welding helmet. I studied up on welding.

You see in the pix where I burned through some 2/16-inch metal multiple times and that on the lowest setting. Practice and I did but the results did not seem so good. What could be wrong? I finally realized my shade adjustable helmet was adjusted to dark and I could not read the welding pool clearly signaling me to move on. I adjusted the shade. I got better and went after the bracket the first time failing to get it to hold. Did some grinding and chamfering. It is tough welding inside a frame and then trying not to burn the bike up. You kind of have a time limit to get the job done before surrounding material gets too hot and spontaneously bursts into flames. I used a metal tin shield to prevent showering sparks. The first attempt I caught a plaid shirt on fire from splatter. Don't use flammable materials to shield. The second attempt I got a weld I think will work.

I am NOT suggesting anyone weld or try this without the proper knowledge, skills, and ability, and consideration for SAFETY. Welding is dangerous. If you do, always have a fire extinguisher handy and beware of the gas tank, GAS in the tank, fuel lines, fumes, and other flammable materials. Remove the gas tank if there is any doubt! Do it outside away from buildings!

verdon of broadway crossword