View Single Post
Old 11-03-2021, 03:53 AM   #7

Clean build!

The frame, forks, wheels etc.. look to be almost identical to the 2004 Maxfine 150 I picked up for $150 earlier this year The Maxfine appears to be based on the late 80's-early 90s Honda XL 185/200. It has the Loncin CB 150cc OHC motor. Out of curiosity, is the HI-Bird an OHC or OHV (pushrod) motor?

I put on a new PZ27 carb and 2 stage foam filter, and fired it up for the first time a couple of weeks ago. Given that it hadn't been started in several years, I was surprised at how quickly it fired up! After about 3 minutes warm up to burn off the oil I squirted in the cylinder to protect the cyl walls after sitting for so long, I was able to do a perfunctory idle speed setting. Purrs like a one lunged Chonda should with no smoke. Still have to set up the front disc, as it's been dry for awhile & everything needs flushed. Still got detail work to do, but the tanks been relined, tail light & r. turn signals upgraded to LED Units & I'm fabbing up a dual element Headlight from a pair of Optronic "Storm" LED off road driving lights. Unfortunately, I don't have a shop to work from, so it's getting tarped up for the winter, but at least I've got must of the grunt work out of the way, so I can get it on the trail in the spring.

Once again, nice clean build on the bike. I just hope I can get mine half that clean and together. (pics are from right after I bought the bike, before work. The 83 Honda XL 200 is to show the similarities between the 2 bikes.)
Attached Images