View Single Post
Old 07-11-2021, 06:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
I love all the people who have opinions on Harley's who would never buy one anyway. It's the best part.
I cant speak for the others, but for me you're mostly right. I liked my buddies night rod but would never have paid what he paid for it. I've got a 82 gs1100e that I paid $1200 for that isn't as pretty, but will do everything it did just as well (I never raced him but I think I could've beat him).

I have looked at a couple of the big Buells for sale around here, as I like the idea of a big torquey twin in a decent handling frame, but then I go home, jump on my nearly 40 year old air cooled 4 cylinder and realize that it's got everything I need.

The point I'm making, if I have one, is there are so many great bikes out there than will do everything as well or better than HDs at a fraction of the cost. Nostalgia is only worth so much.

HD has made its name selling bikes to a particular group of people, ones that think of hitting the road on a v twin machine and the sounds and vibrations that go with it. The problem is they need to either change their image to suit younger people, or start a new brand that sells to the rest of the market place with more competitive pricing and modern designs.

Either way, no matter what they do, they are going to have a hard time. Most of the the major bike brands are struggling and the current push to end ICE engines in general isn't going to make it easier.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"