View Single Post
Old 06-30-2021, 06:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbie View Post
Here in Illinois I was told that as part of the street bike conversion test the bikes lighting had to be able to stay powered for 20 minutes after the bike is off. I guess the reasoning is if you are riding at night and the bike dies people will still be able to see you if the lights are still on.

But looks like I'm dead in the water because I found out yesterday that Illinois no longer will allow a off road bike to be road legal under any circumstance.
So I have 2 options if I want to ride legally to the trails.

Option 1; A company called roadlegal.com guarantees you that they can get you out of state license and title for a poultry fee of $299

Option 2; Sell the XR and buy a road legal dual sport.
I'm leaning towards option 2
You can do option 1 yourself online by going the Vermont route. Regardless of your license plate status though, the local constabulary will likely still give you a hard time. Option 2 clears all that up rather neatly, but a dual-sport bike won't be as good off-road as a dedicated dirt bike, and won't be as good on-road as a dedicated street bike. It really depends on what you're preference is for how the bike behaves (if you buy a dual-sport and go that route) or how much hassle you're willing to put up with from the local cops if you plate the bike out of state. Personally, I wouldn't trade my DR650 for anything, but it's a really big monster of a beast to take blasting around the local trails. I use the Hawk for the local, quick run through the forest trips. In thinking about it, it sounds to me like you need at least TWO motorcycles! But I'm probably a little biased. Keep us posted on what you decide to do!

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up