View Single Post
Old 03-23-2021, 01:58 PM   #3

I have found my Apollo DB36 to be moderately easy to start, but it's very cold-blooded-- it needs to warm up fully before it will run right.

I generally start it with full choke (i.e., lever all the way up) and run it for about 5 minutes. It's an actual choke (not an enricher), so during this time it just idles-- it doesn't increase rpm's as it warms up. In fact the 5 minute point is where the rpm's start going down-- like it's bogging down.

At that point, I switch it to the middle position (half choke, as Jerry stated). It will idle nicely there, and, again, mine doesn't gain any rpm's as it warms up, but it doesn't start bogging either. Sometimes I forget to turn off the choke and start riding it with it half on-- seems to do fine (but it's probably not a good idea).

Seems like it takes at least another 5 minutes (probably more like 10-- I've never actually timed it) before it will run with the choke off (bottom position for the lever). It may or may not idle with the choke off, but you can't rev it with the choke off until it's 90% warmed up.

Seems to then take a few minutes of riding before it will run completely right (with no hesitation or missing). At that point, all is well.

So, I fully utilize all three positions when I start my bike. Hope that info is of some use to you.